Monday 31 January 2011

How did you use new media technologies in the construction and research, planning and evaluation stages?

I have created the whole of my project using cameras, computers and websites in college. To the left are the various websites and programmes that I used to create various parts of my coursework and each of them bought their own advantages and disadvantages.

www.wikipedia.org - This was probably the least influential of all websites, but it provided me with information about various films in my research stage particularly when I made notes about "The Exorcism Of Emily Rose" in my research for my main project (Post D)However, I didn't want to rely to heavily on it as anybody in the world can edit the page an information can often not be accurate.

www.upcominghorrormovies.com - I used this for pretty much finding out about upcoming horror films, I used a list of these on one of my ancillary texts (Post B) as well as a list of upcoming horror films posted separately (Post D)

www.flickr.com - Used not only when I was analysing current horror posters and magazine covers (Post F) but when I was analysing the first draft of my ancillary texts (Post F) Not only could I share my ancillary text images with the world but I could highlight particular points on the image and identify the conventions of the horror genre present.

www.blogger.com - This is clearly the most important part of my coursework, even though it didn't really help me to produce my trailer or ancillary texts. One of the advantages of putting all my work onto a blog is that it easy to publish; all you need to do is type, you can delete and edit posts very quickly, you don't have to look after a paper and keep it with you all the time, and you can access it from anywhere so there would be no excuse for not finishing my evaluation on time! Another advantage to the blog over coursework on paper is that people can comment on your posts. This was particularly useful when getting feedback from staff as all they need to do was comment on a post instead of arranging to meet and discuss how to improve it. Another advantage is the fact that you can add anything to your blog; you can make it your own and make it suit to your personality. Although this is not vitally important it helps t make people think you care about what your doing and you are enjoying personalising your coursework. Potential disadvantages to this are that anybody can see you work anytime, they can get ideas from your posts, which although is generally a good thing, it means that someone could be using similar ideas and sentences. Another disadvantage is that, if you have never used a blog before, although, it's not that hard to use, it take s a lot more brains to change the design and fonts and make it look pretty.

www.youtube.com - Where would we be without YouTube? We uploaded the first draft and final draft of our teaser trailers onto the website to transfer onto our blogs. The advantage of YouTube is that anybody can view our work, leave comments, ratings and are allowed to 'like' or 'dislike' our video. This can help us in our audience feedback for our trailers. So far, we have only received 26 viewings of our draft and 20 viewings of our final project and nobody has left comments yet. However, the possibility is there but it would require me encouraging people to go to the site to view it.

GarageBand - This is a programme on the Apple Mac, it allowed our group to create original sounds, create soundtracks and put them on top of our trailer although it took some getting used to, as at least half of our group were unsure how to use it at the start but slowly began to get to grips with the programme.

Final Cut Pro - This is the main programme on the computer that we created our teaser trailer with. Although it took some getting used to and although we had to play around and learn how to use it effectively, it was crucial in creating the main part of our coursework. It allowed us collect the various shots of the video camera, add them together, delete parts of shots, speed up or slow down shots and create our own graphics such as the text in between the shots.

Adobe Photoshop - This was the main programme that I used to create my ancillary texts. It allowed me to put together pictures, as well as change the colourings and opacity of them and add text and colour to the document to create both the promotional poster and the magazine cover. Again, although this took some getting used to, it is fairly easy to use and when creating something as simple as a poster, you do not need to know the programme back-to-front to produce a good piece of work.

Apple Mac, Video Camera, Tape and Tripod - Some of the programmes that we used were exclusive to the Apple Mac, and although, compared to the usual Microsoft Windows it seemed very confusing, it allowed it to create the majority of our coursework. The video camera, tape and tripod, were kindly lent to us by the college in the time that we needed to shoot for our teaser trailer and all three of the items were not particularly hard to use. The only thing we needed to look out for when shooting was that we didn't record over shots we had already shot!

No comments:

Post a Comment